Tuesday 25 October 2016

Dylon Dye - craft project

I love to craft and I was really excited to get a chance to try some of the fab dye's from Dylon UK.
I am a child of the 70's so the old tie dye was something everyone did. I also did a lot at college with silk screen and I loved it. It is so amazing to change or re fresh the colour of an item into something exciting and new.
I want to share my first project today and then once my second is ready I can share that as well.
I have recently got into crochet and while I am not very good yet I am keen lol. I love wool and I also love the idea of a variegated colour. I wanted to try this out with the super cold water dye's from Dylon. My colours I picked were these. I have to say I did make a mistake as I picked two colours that were very alike so I would have been better to pick a more contrasting one.


I also went out and bought some double knit 100 % cotton yarn as  I thought this would give me a better result.
I started by re rolling my wool into a skein so make it better to dye. I used a handy chair and it didn't take long really.


When that was done I tied little bits to keep the skein together and removed it from the chair.
Then I mixed my dye which was so easy and it had great instructions on the back. You just need the dye and normal table salt and water. I set up my three tubs which I have to say were a little big. I had just put all my jars out in the recycling lol!!

 I then wet my wool so it was damp and dipped the ends int my dyes. I wanted to get them to run into each other because I was hoping to make a new colour where they met. I did get a green but would have liked it a little darker but that was more me not dipping it right. I stirred for about 15 mins then I left it for about 45 mins. When It was done I rinsed it all off then washed it in a 40 wash  in my machine. I think you could also wash by hand but I did not want to chance it.  I put it into a long sock so it stayed nice and tidy. I  hung the skein up to dry over night and the next day rolled it into a wool and wow I had my own original wool! I wanted to see what it made up like so I quickly made a little simple beanie hat. I was delighted ! It was so much fun and I am excited to try my next project which I will be sharing with you.


You can find out lots more about the fab Dylon range and all the wonderful colours at



Please note I was not paid for this review only receiving a sample of the product 

No comments :

Post a Comment

I am always delighted when people take time to leave me a comment...thanks so much